Whether you’re starting a new business or trying to grow an existing one, creating an online presence using social media platforms is a requirement. Yet social media overwhelm is real. Just the idea of creating or growing your brand awareness is enough to make you shy away from even starting. It doesn’t have to be. With the right approach, you can begin your journey, and step by step you will find a rhythm and pace that works for you and your business.
1. Building your online presence takes time. Start with this as your first mindset shift. It’s extremely unlikely that you will grow your followers in one fell swoop. If you go in with realistic expectations, you’ll have less anxiety.
2. Pick one channel to focus on. Figure out where your audience is and choose that one to start. It doesn’t mean you shouldn’t post to other social media channels. You can use posting schedulers to post to all the other channels. You can also simply spend time on one and forget the rest. There’s no rule that you need to be on more than one platform.
3. Allocate 20 minutes a day to engage with the platform that you’re focused on. The engagement has much more potential for growing your online presence. The more you engage, the more people get to know you.
4. Post regularly, at the same time(s) each week.
5. Check if your strategy is working. Are you getting likes, shares, and comments? Are you getting conversions (visits to your website, sign-ups for your newsletter)?
After a few months, if you’ve done everything right and you still don’t have any traction, take some time to figure out what’s wrong. Try changing your messaging, the time of day you post, even sending your articles to specific users. If none of this works, it’s probably time to find a different social media channel.